Sunday, July 31, 2016

A new beginning is an ending

At the Mississippi River
in Dubuque, Iowa.
I am now an official graduate student, with a Student ID card, and everything! Late yesterday afternoon I arrived on campus for orientation at University of Dubuque Theological Seminary. I'm joined by about 30 other first-time students. Most are online students, but about 10 of us are new "residential" students (residential in the sense that we will come to class on campus once-per-week). Both online and residential students are on campus for this two-week intensive. The people I've met are wonderful, and I look forward to a rich time here.

Today I went to a Presbyterian worship service for the first time. It was nice; meaningful and liturgical with a good sermon about what we can learn from Rahab. After worship we stopped by the Mississippi River and then went to a state park for a picnic lunch and team-building on a low ropes course.

During lunch we all shared a little about ourselves in response to a few questions. One question was, what have you given up to be here? For some it was a career path, for others it was a family event (ie: missing a child's birthday), for others it was something spiritual or emotional that was standing in the way of submission. I shared that I have given up teaching at the high school in order to be a seminary student. I still grieve that loss; I enjoyed students and our learning together.

Tonight at dinner one of the professors, Dr. H., shared parts of TS Elliot's poem, Four Quartets:
What we call the beginning is often the end
And to make an end is to make a beginning.
The end is where we start from.
....
With the drawing of this Love and the voice of this Calling
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
I am reminded again of the constant nature of change. Of beginnings and endings that must exist together. I am reminded that beginnings are made possible by ends. I am thankful for endings.

My favorite part of the poem, at least for tonight, is the recognition that we arrive where we started and know the place for the first time. I begin this journey in obedience, "with the drawing of this Love and the voice of this Calling", and if I arrive in the same place again and yet see it as new, it will be a good place.

Thanks be to God.