Friday, March 30, 2018

Receiving Love

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/
File:Schnorr_von_Carolsfeld_Bibel_in_Bildern_1860_204.png
I just got home from Good Friday worship. Like many Christians, I've been thinking about the love of God this week. "For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son..." (John 3:16). 

It's a common thing to consider that Jesus loved people. He loved enough to give up his own life, and before that, to endure suffering in the form of desertion, betrayal, mockery, violence, and crucifixion, not to mention the love spurring the divine to become human in the first place. God extends love to us.

But this week, I've also been thinking about how Jesus received love. Right in amongst the story of plotting and betrayal in Matthew 26 is the story of Jesus being anointed at Bethany:


Now while Jesus was at Bethany in the house of Simon the leper, a woman came to him with an alabaster jar of very costly ointment, and she poured it on his head as he sat at the table. But when the disciples saw it, they were angry and said, “Why this waste? For this ointment could have been sold for a large sum, and the money given to the poor.” But Jesus, aware of this, said to them, “Why do you trouble the woman? She has performed a good service for me. For you always have the poor with you, but you will not always have me. By pouring this ointment on my body she has prepared me for burial. Truly I tell you, wherever this good news is proclaimed in the whole world, what she has done will be told in remembrance of her.” -Matthew 26: 6-13 

There is a lot in this passage, but for me this week, the point is this: Jesus received a gift from the woman. There Jesus was, sitting among his friends, and a woman came and poured a whole jar of expensive ointment on him. His disciples saw waste. He saw a good service, an act of love. He received the gift.

Early on in our marriage, Ryan learned that I didn't want him to waste money on gifts for me. That was probably a good financial choice; I was still in college after all. But, it also shows a little bit of that part of me that is adverse to receiving love, thinking I don't need it or don't deserve it. 

One of my prayers this week has been, Lord, help me to receive love from others, like you did from the woman. When people perform a good service for me, help me receive it with thankfulness rather than pushing it away. When you place good gifts before me and within me, urge me to receive them and use them. May it be so.